Pages

Wednesday 12 September 2012

First week!


Karibu, okay so in Swahili this means welcome; so note to self when you walk into a shop and the owner opens his arms and greets you with ‘karibu’ do not say ‘karibu’ back to him. I think the right response is asante which is thank you. (full on doh moment)

Anyways, wow I am loving (emphasis on love) Tanzania. It is so breathtakingly beautiful and seeing Kilamanogaro when you wake up is something else. So we have met our new house-made, our beautiful Freeda. Unfortunatley we were at the school when she was due to come; and we were told we need to give her a list of things we need to have done. This is something that we all felt a little uncomfortable about, as we are happy to do our own chores; however its better that we give her jobs to do rather than her sit twiddling her thumbs. (so Ive been told) We had a list of things such as washing, cleaning and burning the trash ( yes I said trash and yes I said burn trash which is what they do here) The only problem is Freeda speaks no English, so we had to get creative. My very talented housemate came up with the idea to draw what jobs we need doing, so this is the result.



We found out later that freeda absolutely loved the drawings and everything got done so allll good.

Our garden is incredible, there is place for us to grow fruit and vegtables (which my only participation will be eating the end product) there is beautiful plants, our gorgeous porch and plenty of running around space, yey. So aside from the chicken idea (which my housemates are swaying against which I will not allow) we also may be getting a dog, but most importantdly my newest dream garden toy is a tyre swing! So we have been looking for a tyre and thankfully Ryan had a spare one, not sure when I get it, but the dream is in progress. Next step is to learn how climb a tree tie rope to a branch and then attach it to the tyre, so wish me luck.

Being in Tanzania does not leave much room for appearcne, well for a scatty white girl anyways. I take a shower and probably stay clean for at least 5 minutes top. I have never had that feeling where no matter what you do you always end up feeling dirty. To be honest I am secretly starting to love my new dirty attire as it makes me look kinda tanned and a true Tanzanian. 



I have been very busy lately, what with sorting the school classrooms out and starting to get around my curriculum and planning. I am all set up with my grade books, planning books and note pads and I found a basket that I put them all in so I feel very African when I get to school.  (Best not carry it on my head or will either offend someone or drop it on them, not sure which is worse)

So back to housemates. I LOVE THEM. I have known them for what, like 5 days and I really really love them. We had a Mexican night the other day and it was amazing, reminded me of being home. We are all so different but click together incredibly well. For all you people back home who know me for creating little games to play over the dinner table or in cars such as guess the famous person on your head ect. Well imagine 5 of these crazy game makeruppers (really doubt that is a word) all living together, we have so much fun.




I love where I live, Moshi (which until 5 minutes ago I pronounced completely wrong as my housemates so kindly pointed out) The town is great all filled with interesting markets and shops. We went into a fabric shop and there was this rather snazzy Tanzania outfit, which I was offered to try on. Not sure I will be wearing it to my next dinner party but it was lovely.


Got to go now as George our night guard is walking us over to Ryan and Staceys.
Byeee

No comments:

Post a Comment